Google Translate

Omaha Recycling Guide

Solvent Containers

Not Accepted, Alternative Options Available

PT Oil Paint Chemicals

CAUTION: Household Hazardous Waste

DO NOT place containers that held solvents in a City of Omaha curbside recycling cart or drop-off site container.

Flammable liquids such as acetone, paint thinner, or wood stripper are considered Household Hazardous Waste and require special handling.

  • If you have product leftover, the best option is to use up the material for its intended purpose
  • Completely EMPTY containers may be placed in the garbage
PT Oil Paint Chemicals

Important Note: Containers with leftover flammable contents should be taken to the City's special waste facility, UnderTheSink. Do not rinse or flush flammable liquids.

UnderTheSink accepts unwanted chemicals and special waste from households in Douglas and Sarpy Counties. A list of acceptable items and more information can be found at:


Ways to Reduce or Reuse

If you have leftover products that are still usable, consider sharing with a neighbor.

UnderTheSink also offers a ReStore, accepting items that are in good condition for reuse.

Did You Know

Household hazardous wastes that make their way into landfills can cause groundwater pollution. If improperly handled and disposed of, these materials can pose a threat to the public's health and safety.

How to determine if a product is considered household hazardous waste? Look for indicator words on labels, such as:

  • Caution
  • Warning
  • Danger
  • Poison
  • Flammable
  • Volatile
  • Caustic
  • Corrosive

Learn More

Liquid contents can be quickly dried by stirring cat litter or oil-dry absorbent into cans. Leave lids off and allow to dry outside for a few days. When solid, they can be disposed of in the garbage (NOT the recycling). Visit UnderTheSink for Proper Paint Disposal instructions: